Root Canal Therapy
ROOT CANAL THERAPY & TREATMENT DENTIST MISSISSAUGA
Endodontic therapy is a dental procedure used to treat infection in the root canal. Despite common beliefs, root canal therapy is generally a comfortable and effective procedure. At our Mississauga office, we use a technique that allows us to be as accurate as possible, for optimal outcomes.
UNDERSTANDING THE ROOT CANAL THERAPY
Teeth are not solid objects, as they appear. The outermost layer, which we see, is an ultra-hard material called enamel. Beneath that is a softer, solid material called dentin. In the centers of teeth are hollow chambers with canals extending through the roots to the bone. This is where nerves, blood vessels, and other soft tissues (known as dental pulp) are housed.
Fractures, deep cavities, and other tooth damage can create a path for bacteria to reach dental pulp, causing infection in the middle of the tooth and root. The resulting inflammation, pressure, and nerve irritation can cause many problems, including:
- Frequent toothaches
- Tooth sensitivity
- Abscesses and other infections near the tooth
- Pain when eating
Request an Appointment
ROOT CANAL THERAPY & TREATMENT: ABOUT THE PROCEDURE
Without treatment, the symptoms will worsen, eventually leading to loss of the tooth. The treatment process is performed in several, precise steps
- First, the area is numbed. This should stop any pain, unless significant swelling has already occurred.
- The tooth is isolated with a rubber dam, which keeps it dry.
- Your dentist will remove decayed material, and create a small opening to access the infected pulp.
- The chambers and canals are cleaned using a special type of file that removes diseased tissue. They are then sterilized to prevent any lingering infection.
- The spaces are filled with a material called gutta percha, and sealed.
- The final step is restoring the tooth with a beautiful porcelain crown.
If you have questions, or want to schedule an appointment, call R Dentists at (905) 567-6757. Mississauga, Ontario – L5N 6J5